grade Municipal town in Thiruvallur District is Located at
a very close proximity to Chennai megacity. This town possesses
the appearance and Character similar to many of the town in
Tamil Nadu which bears the seal of Religion.The famous temple
in this town is devoted to Lord Vaidya Veeraraghawasamy which
dates back to 18th century. This Temple on each new moon day
attract a large number of people from all around. It is the
nucleus for the development of this town and present development
pattern has emerged from a small village at the beginning
of 19th century. Thiruvallur town was constituted as a Municipality
during 1948 and from 1983 on wards, Thiruvallur is functioning
as a grade II Municipality with 10.75 Sq.Km.in extent.
This town consists of four revenue villages namely Thiruvallur,
Periakuppam, Perumpakkam and Pungathur. The town is divided
into 27 wards. Thiruvallur town is located at a distance of
42 Kms. west of Chennai City. This lies on chennai Bangalore
broad gauge railway line and Chennai Thirupathi Trunk road.
It is situated 13 9” North latitude and 79 55”
E longitude. The present extent of this town is 10.75 Sq.Kms.,
Poondi reservoir from where drinking water is drawn to Chennai
city is at about 9 Kms. from this town, Map No.(1) depicts
the location of Thiruvallur Town.